Thursday, September 10, 2015

First Plane Ride

When I was 18 years old I was given the opportunity to travel to Hawaii with two of my cousins and our Aunt. This was to be our High School graduation trip...to ourselves basically since we paid our own way.

It was my first big trip and my first time on an airplane! Our Aunt conveniently had a time share with the Hilton so we got to stay in a pretty cool suite! We flew into the Honolulu airport after a short 4 hour flight and stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for an entire week. It was nice, like really nice. The beach was right there! So many amazing experiences that we took advantage of: Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, USS Arizona Memorial, 'Iolani Palace, and the Honolulu Zoo. Unfortunately, even though we did take a bunch of pictures they were lost through many computer changes over the last 10 years. The only few pictures that do remain are from an old Photobucket account.

Another thing to mention is that I have a bad case of brain fog. I remember scattered bits of this trip but not the entirety but that might actually be a good thing.

Even though this was my very first trip on a plane, this wasn't the one that encouraged me to pursue travel. The bug most definitely did not bite me this time. There was definitely bickering and we all had different ideas on what we wanted to do. I think the 3 of us had a lot of teenage emotions still running through us and 2/3 of us being 18 but with a "babysitter" did not fly well most of this trip. But hey, it was our first trip together so I consider it a very big learning experience for our family.

And I never got to see the waterfall that I wanted to, which is the only thing I can remember requesting in the trip itinerary.

 Ashley, David, and I in front of the Palace. You can see how pleased we all were.


 Us in front of our hotel.



Thankfully there was another trip a few years later that completely took me by surprise. It made me fall hopelessly in love with exploring and seeing new places. When I realized adventures made my heart pitter-patter...



No comments:

Post a Comment